If there is one thing that shocked me in the 2013 Cannes Cyber Lions winners, it is that all of them seem to claim to be a social media success! Although the shortlisted campaigns don’t present themselves specifically as social media activities, it is as if generating reactions on social networks, has became the proof that a campaign has been adopted by the target audience. Just as much as the business performance… So, does it mean that turning an advertising message into social currency is worth gold?
Here is a summary of my favourite campaigns:
Adidas Window shopping (2013 Silver Cyber Lion)
Shop like it’s the future! I love the idea of keeping a store open even when it’s closed. The key is that they made the mobile integration simple and seamless. Reminds me of the Tesco Korea campaign (2011 Gold Cyber Lion)
Dove Real Beauty Sketches (2013 Gold Cyber Lion)
Not only it is an interesting concept artistically, the campaign really brings to life how women see themselves. The problem is obvious, it is up to all of us to help fix it!
Funny to see that Axe is now giving power to women with the fear no Susan Glenn initiative!
Oreo Daily Twist (2013 Grand Prix Cyber Lion)
Cool idea, social by design and success coming down to the dedicated resource on deck to come up with creativity worth spreading every day!
Everybody loves Oreos, now everybody loves sharing their Oreo twists!
Metropole Tweetphony (2013 Silver Cyber Lion)
I like the way new technologies are now associated with stuff as old as classical music… The Tweepthony could have very well turned into a real cacophony but it didn’t. Like Pay with a Tweet, (2011 Cyber Lion winner) great use of twitter for creating value!
I also thought that a few other campaigns are also worth highlighting:
– Metro Train Dumb ways to Die (2013 5 Gold Lions/ 1 Silver). Brilliant branded content, the amount of recognition speaks for itself!
– Perfume open platform for creativity (2013 Silver Cyber Lion + entertainment category at he Japan media arts festival)
– Hello Again by Lincoln (2013 Gold Cyber Lion) Although the challenge of re inventing an old car brand and associate it with Music has been over used, the innovation power used to create the digital content is incredible (great credits to Go Pro). Execution is outstanding!
– Nike Chance (2013 Silver Cyber Lion) Giving rejected young players another chance. Hope they will turn this into a yearly mechanic not just a one off campaign.
– Clouds over Cuba (2013 Gold Cyber Lion): making history and culture accessible to all! Like the Google Art project, we want more of that!
– Perrier Secret Place (2013 Bronze and Silver Lion), Golden chains (2013 Silver Cyber Lion), Tokyo Symphony (2013 Silver Cyber Lion) and Jam with Chrome (2013 Bronze Silver Lion) are great examples of pure digital and collaborative entertainment!
Do you what these brilliant campaigns have in common, apart form being 2013 Cannes Cyber Lions winners, of course? Come to Ignite Sydney on August 7th and I will share with you the three words that guarantee social media success (I might use some of these campaigns as examples to illustrate what I mean!)