Over the last year, I have been fortunate to visit 10 different countries on business.
The experience and learnings I captured during each trip are tremendously valuable.
I have been writing specific work reports, and I have also decided to share broader observations about each market.
This is my media watch, starting with South Korea where I am spending the week.
I will then backfill with India, Brasil, Singapore, Indonesia, Mexico, Australia, France..
- Internet penetration: 85.3%
- Media Spend: Mobile ad spend is said to account for 10-15% of total ad spend in 2015 and as much as 29% by 2019.
IPTV & Mobile represent the strongest growth. This demonstrates the power of fast mobile network accessible anywhere (when everyone watches mobile on their phone in the subway: commute time is the new prime time).
- Mobile leaders: Google and Facebook are strongly represented, yet they are being crushed by the regional giants Daum Kakao and Naver.
- Opportunities for international companies: South Korea is well connected and extremely competitive. The lessons learnt by observing the dynamics can be very valuable (Kakao’s vertical integration is fascinating. Although described as a messaging service it also offers e commerce, content curation, taxi services…).
South Korea is a great benchmark.
- Barriers for international companies: Language.
- Personal observation: This is the most competitive market I have ever seen with local player being extremely advance + vertical integration like nowhere else.
- Fun fact: #KPOP is everywhere.
- Travel tips: Traveling to Korea is like stepping into the future.