I have committed to volunteering at Kevin Richardson wildlife sanctuary in South Africa in 2016.
Until then, I am helping him and his wife Mandy with their digital and social media presence.
They recently asked me for advise about how to organically grow their followers on Twitter.
I thought that the tips I prepared for them, could also be valuable for you.
Here they are.
1- Know who you are talking to:
- Use Twitter analytics to understand the profile of your organic audience and track your performance over time.
Go to analytics.twitter.com to activate.
- Define conversation themes based on your followers traits. You will be more interesting to your reached audience end therefore more users might follow you.
2- Leverage all your marketing material:
Twitter is the best touchpoint to enable your audience to interact with you in real time. Remind them when they see your brand!
- Your online assets of course:
- Embed your Twitter timeline into your website:
This will show your live activity and entice your website visitors to follow you.
If your website template is not pre built with this feature, click on this link to know how.
- Same goes for the the follow button:
Add a follow button to your website and email signature (if you can’t figure this out, just write your @handle with a hyperlink)
- Try adding call to action to your videos:
Add a screen at the end of your videos with a call to action to follow you on Twitter (always showing your @handle + a clear call to action).
- Your offline ones as well:
- Show your @handle on all your marketing tools: brochures, business cards, leaflets, sales receipts, newsletters T shirts, vehicles, cup cakes,….Wherever people might see your brand when they have their mobile phones handy, add Twitter. Be creative with it, try things out!
Remember that “Follow us on Twitter” or the Twitter bird is not enough. Be specific, show your @handle: Follow us on Twitter @mariesornin
- This is also true for speaking engagement/ public appearances:
Include your @handle in your slides, call out the audience to follow you when you start.
Get your staff and the conference/ program organizers/ audience to live Tweet the key elements of your speech. Make sure that they mention your @handle and # of the event in their Tweets.
3- Give and Get:
Like in any conversation being engaging is key to making people want to talk to you again.
Twitter works the same way.
When you are engaging to your current followers, they will carry your message out extending your “earned” visibility and consequently bringing you new followers.
There are several ways of doing so on Twitter, here are some important ones:
- Let people know what to expect from Twitter account: Your photo, bio and URL on your Twitter profile are the 1st thing that people will see. Make it impactful and catchy.
- Follow people who are important to you. They might follow you back
- Mention people’s @handle in your tweets, tag them in your photos. They might reply, favorite and RT you (generating a greater earned footprint for your content)
- Reply to the users mentioning you in a timely manner. They will feel engaged, gratified and will help spread your message to their followers when you need them to!
- Tweet around the clock: your followers might scattered around the globe (Twitter analytics can tell you that), you must be visible to all of them regularly.
- Use Twitter native tools: upload your photos on Twitter (links to an Instagram photo will get way less engagement), shoot videos from your mobile, build website cards to Tweet your site pages, try Vines & GIFs.
4- Leverage moments:
- Insert your tweets in current topics of conversations.Use Search.twitter.com to find the the right #. Use them in your Tweets.
Try these tips and check the impact on your followers growth over time.
Alternate your implementation, don’t do everything at once so you can understand what pushes the needle and focus on these points.
And of course, since I work at Twitter, I couldn’t finish this post without a little push to our promoted products: if all that is working for you and you want to take it one step further, you can also add a Promoted Accounts campaign.
Any other tips that are worth sharing? Comment below!
Marie Sornin for @lionwhispererSA
After all that, if you care that at this current rate Lions might be extinct in 20 years, give Kevin a follow on Twitter: @lionwhispererSA